Prepare For Your Eye Procedure
To ensure a smooth procedure and recovery process it is important for you to follow your pre-operative instructions. While these guidelines below are a good place to start, your doctor will provide you with more specific guidelines as the pre-operative instructions will be unique for each individual.
- Inform your doctor of any health concerns you may have.
- Notify your doctor of any changes to your health before your procedure.
When getting ready for your procedure, you should:
- Arrange for a ride to and from surgery. Your driver MUST stay at the surgery center for your surgery.
- Avoid eating, drinking or chewing anything after midnight.
- Wear a comfortable shirt you can sleep in with a buttoned or zip-up shirt over it. For the first day or so, you do not want to bump your eye while pulling a shirt over your head.
- Dress warmly. If you are having a laser procedure, keep in mind that the laser room requires a cold temperature, typically between 65 and 72 degrees. Wearing warm clothes can help keep you comfortable during your treatment.
- Wash your face thoroughly. Make sure to remove all eye makeup, especially mascara.
- Avoid wearing perfume, cologne, hair spray, or aerosol deodorant. These substances can harm the laser mirrors.
- Remove jewelry, watches, and contact lenses.
- Arrange for a ride to and from surgery. Patients are not typically allowed to drive after an eye procedure.
- Take all routine medications unless otherwise instructed.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco products as they can interfere with your healing.