What Can You Do To Prevent Dry Eye?
It is not always possible to prevent dry eye; however, you may be able to identify certain triggers that irritate your condition.
Try these tips to minimize the effects of dry eye:
- Allergy testing: Our Atlanta dry eye specialists can test you for certain allergens that may aggravate your dry eyes.
- Vitamins: Nutraceuticals may help prevent dry eye.
- Humidifiers: Add moisture to your home or office air.
- Eye breaks: If you work for long periods on a computer or other visual tasks, try incorporating the 20/20/20 routine. Every 20 minutes, take a 20 second break and look at something 20 feet away.
- Remember to blink often.
- Sunglasses: Wear wrap-around sunglasses when outdoors to block wind and foreign debris from getting into your eyes.
- Stop smoking: Avoid direct or secondhand smoke.
- Wind and fans: Avoid air positioned directly at your eyes from wind, fans or hair dryers.
- Artificial tears: These over-the-counter products may provide temporary relief.
If you are experiencing symptoms of dry eye, call us at 770-427-8111 to schedule an eye exam so we can diagnose your condition and help provide relief.